Family Petitions

Family petitions can be used when a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) has an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent, sibling) who wishes to come to or remain in the United States permanently and obtain a Permanent Resident Card (also called a Green Card).

Citizenship and Naturalization

Lawful permanent residents can apply to naturalize if they have been living in the United States for five (5) years or three (3) years if they are married to a U.S. citizen.

VAWA - Violence Against Women and Men

Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) women and men who are victims of battery or extreme cruelty committed by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent, son or daughter may be eligible for a lawful permanent resident card (a Green Card). This can also be used as a defense against those placed in removal proceedings (deportation).

Victims of Crimes or Human Trafficking

U-Visas and T-Visas provide temporary immigration protection to crime victims and human trafficking victims who have been subjected to mental or physical abuse as a result of a crime and provide assistance to law enforcement. This visa can allow victims to remain in the United States for up to four years and many victims may be able to adjust their status to become lawful permanent residents (to get a Green Card).

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

If you are a minor in the United States and need the protection of a juvenile court because you have been abused, abandoned or neglected by a parent, you may be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) classification. If SIJ classification is granted, you may qualify for lawful permanent residency (also known as getting a Green Card).

Removal and Deportation Defense

Immigrants who are placed into removal proceedings (deportation) may be eligible to cancel their removal if they have maintained continuous physical presence in the United States for ten (10) years or more, they have been a person of good moral character, and their removal would result in exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent, or child.


People who have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or their political opinion may be eligible to apply for asylum. Asylum seekers must apply within one (1) year of their arrival to the United States, and they may file for a permanent resident card (a Green Card) one (1) year after being granted asylum.


Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) gives legal status to immigrant children who arrived in the United States before June 15, 2007. DACA applicants must have arrived to the U.S. before they reached their 16th birthday, be under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012, continuously remained in the U.S. after arrival, completed or be in the process of completing their general education development (GED) certificate, and not committed any significant crimes.

Waivers of Inadmissibility

Individuals who are inadmissible by law to enter or remain in the United States may be eligible to apply for a waiver. These waivers can be used in order to ask the U.S. government to grant immigration benefits despite health concerns, criminal backgrounds, national security issues, fraud or misrepresentations, prior removals or unlawful presence, or other grounds that would otherwise render an individual ineligible.  

Federal and State Background Checks

Individuals who would like to receive information concerning their criminal or immigration record may apply for a state or federal background check or Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request from a federal agency.

Contact us to discuss your case

Each case with our law office requires an initial consultation. During our consultations you will describe your case and concerns with our attorney, Carolyn Grimes, and she will determine how our firm can best address your needs. Our consultations are generally scheduled for 1 hour and require the consultation fee to be paid at the time of the appointment.

Thank you! Our office will reach out to you soon to schedule your consultation.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

How can we help you?